Table of Contents
What is AbeBooks?
Amazon has acquired twelve-year-old Canadian company Abebooks (formerly the Advanced Book Exchange), the companies just announced. AbeBooks is an online marketplace for books focusing on used, rare and out of print titles for sale by independent booksellers â it currently has 110 million books for sale from 13,500 sellers.
The company has been around since 1996 and fills a niche for Amazon in hard-to-find or out-of-print books. Rather than hold its own inventory, it acts as a digital marketplace for established booksellers.
How does AbeBooks work?
In the past, small booksellers struggled to succeed in the literary marketplace. The corporate publishers and book distributors earned the lionâs share of the book market, but Abebooks.com changed this paradigm. Rather than going through the major book distributors, Abebooks chose to focus on the independent bookstores around the world instead.
Abebooks provides a way for small bookstores to connect with book lovers from all walks of life. Independent booksellers upload their catalog to Abebooksâ database. In return, Abebooks provides a platform for book lovers to find the rare, out-of-print items that are only available in independent bookstores. Abebooks turned the publishing industryâs most significant liability into an asset.
What are the requirements to work for AbeBooks?
Youâll need to have at least $15 worth of books to sell, and they must be in good condition. If your old textbooks donât meet AbeBooksâ standards, theyâll be recycled, and you wonât get a penny.
How do you earn money on abebooks?
The Abebooks website allows users to browse and search for the book of their choice from a vast network of dealers and stores. Thanks to its relationship with Amazon, Abebooks customers have a worldwide network of potential sellers and buyers at its disposal.
How much money can you make on AbeBooks?
$10 and up, depending on the number of books listed, with 7.5% commission
Pros of working for AbeBooks
- Permits the most direct contact between buyers and sellers of all the significant sites, including links to your own website.
- Gives sellers the most freedom to set their own shipping rates and policies, to describe books briefly or at length, and to price books as they wish.
- Telephone customer support, including a toll-free number.
- A relatively short holding period on AbeBooks eCommerce sales where they processed the payments, paid weekly with a holding period of 8 days to 15 days for most booksellers.
- An active and often informative bookseller forum.
Cons of working for AbeBooks
- No automatic link for PayPal payments.
- Inadequate follow-up when a credit card cannot be processed. Instead of the order remaining open while AbeBooks follows up with the customer, the order is immediately canceled.
- For those who use the ISBN lookup to populate fields, there is inaccurate information, especially the use of the âwarehouseâ location as the place of publication.
- The âclutterâ and âjunkâ in the database and the lack of quality control both in terms of sellers and inventory.
What is the website for AbeBooks?
If you wish to sell old books online, AbeBook.com comes up with the number of websites in its search results. The site simply helps you in finding vendors for your old books; hence, actual terms of the deal depend on individual buyers. But the positive aspect is, the site provides you an opportunity to pick your suitable vendor based on user ratings and reviews to sell used books.
Reviews by Source
|Source||Average Rating||Total Reviews|